PRP; Platelet-Rich Plasma is a treatment used for pain associated with degeneration of the body’s tissues, such as ligament tears, muscle tears, back or neck injuries, sprains and strains and osteoarthritis.
The procedure begins by drawing a small amount of blood from your arm; it is then processed in a centrifuge, which separates the content of the blood based on density into platelet-rich plasma allowing for the removal of red and white blood cells. The concentrated plasma solution contains growth factors and other building blocks necessary for tissue regeneration and repair. It is injected directly into the site of discomfort or injury, stimulating the body’s natural healing cascade. This produces a local inflammation by the body, beginning the healing process directly where there is an injury causing pain.
Cellular regeneration takes twenty-one days; therefore, the procedure is usually preformed at one-month intervals until desired results are achieved. The side effects are usually limited as the injections are done with the patient’s own blood. The injection site can be tender and some bruising may occur; relative rest after the procedure is recommended followed by progressive a stretching and strengthening program specific to the joint injected.
What to expect…
- A natural solution to musculoskeletal pain and injuries
- The response to treatment varies, depending on one’s healing ability. During your consultation with one of the naturopathic physicians, they will determine if there are any necessary treatment protocols that should take place before the injections.
- The average number of treatment sessions is 3-6 depending on the chronicity of the injury or pain
- The injections are preformed 1 month apart
- Adverse effects are limited due to the use of patients own cells
- Injection site may be sore and or bruised for up to 72 hours following the procedure
- A stretching and strengthening program is provided to enhance results